EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY: DIRECTOR
Reporting to the Board of Directors and working collaboratively with other staff, the Director will play a key role in shaping and contributing to the current and future creative vision of Struts Gallery & Faucet Media Arts Centre and all its programs and be responsible for the administrative stewardship of the organization.
Deadline for Applications
Friday, February 14th, 2020, 11:59 PM AST
• Starting salary of $40,000
• Full-time (4-day workweek + some evenings and weekends)
• 4 weeks paid vacation and two weeks of paid Professional Development leave annually, with additional unpaid leave possible as approved by the Board of Directors on a case-by-case basis
• Health benefits through a group insurance plan
• Three-year term, with the option to renew
• Preferred Start Date: March 16th, 2020 (negotiable)
• Programming: Development and implementation of public programming in collaboration with programming committees, the board, staff, and key partnerships including the Owens Art Gallery, the Fine Arts Department at Mount Allison University, and SappyFest. Upholding the mandate and artistic vision of Struts & Faucet
• Human Resources: Payroll, training, supervision of staff
• Administration: grant writing, budgeting, preparing reports, attending board meetings, day-to-day operations
• Membership & Fundraising: Cultivating long-term relationships with the community, coordinating and implementing fundraising initiatives and members’ projects
• Facilities Management: Fundraising and development toward the renovation of 7 Lorne Street, gallery maintenance, rental agreements, liaising with property manager
• Public Outreach: Representing Struts Gallery & Faucet Media Arts Centre at public events and meetings as appropriate, both in the region and nationally, in collaboration with other staff
• An evident commitment to and enthusiasm for contemporary art practices & artists
• A vision for the role of artist-run centres
• Ability to work collaboratively and foster a healthy work environment
• Relevant experience and education
• Excellent communication, presentation, and writing skills
• Willingness to be flexible with work schedule including some evenings and weekends
• An interest in the challenges and opportunities that this position offers
• Fluency in written and spoken English; French would be an asset
• Website and design experience would be an asset
Struts Gallery & Faucet Media Arts Centre is located on the unceded ancestral lands of the Mi’kmaq Nation and the Wolastoquyik (Maliseet) peoples. Struts began its activities in 1980 and was incorporated as a not-for-profit organization in 1982. With media art as an integral part of the centre’s history, they expanded their activities in 1999 to become Struts Gallery & Faucet Media Arts Centre (Struts & Faucet) in order to address the membership’s need for access to production equipment, professional development, and technical support.
Today Struts & Faucet is one organization: An artist-run centre championing the creation and presentation of the work of contemporary artists and a media arts production centre with the resources necessary to facilitate the development of video, film, audio, and new media artworks.
Struts Gallery & Faucet Media Arts Centre is dedicated to:
• Presenting exceptional contemporary art to the public through exhibitions, artist residencies, festivals, screenings, and performances
• Providing public workshops on a wide variety of contemporary art methods and concepts
• Facilitating public artist talks and lectures by artists and arts professionals
• Operating a resource library of contemporary film, video, and texts on contemporary art
• Promoting the development of media art by providing training, facilities, and specialized equipment
Struts & Faucet values production as highly as presentation. We strive to support professional artists while building their networks and providing opportunities for thought-provoking discourse with diverse audiences. Through our programming we aim to establish a supportive and creative environment that facilitates research, production, and presentation within a dynamic context for professional artists. We encourage interactions between artists of diverse perspectives, disciplines, career levels, and regions, and provide a platform for the public to engage with and experience the work of international, national, and regional contemporary artists.
Applications can be submitted by email to the Board’s attention at email@example.com. Please include with your application a cover letter, resume, and contact information for up to three references. Candidates may choose to include optional supplementary materials they deem relevant to their application (writing samples, documentation, etc).
Struts Gallery & Faucet Media Arts Centre is committed to diversity and inclusiveness. We encourage applications from candidates who are members of racialized communities, women, Indigenous peoples, persons with disabilities, persons of minority sexual orientations and gender identities, and others with the skills and knowledge to productively engage within diverse communities.
All candidates will be notified regarding the outcome of their application.