Call for Submissions
Open Studio Residency Program 2023 | Deadline: November 21, 2022
Struts Gallery welcomes applications from visual and media artists to participate in our annual Open Studio Residency Program. Artists are offered the freedom to continue their practice, develop a new project or site-specific work, and are encouraged to creatively engage with the community through at least one public event (artist talk, workshop, or another artist-initiated event). The Open Studio program aims to develop artists’ practices by supporting experimentation without the pressure to present a resolved body of work. The residency is artist-driven and independent, with staff assistance available for community outreach, technical and logistical support.
Residencies are five-weeks and with up to six slots available, beginning in the spring of 2023. Participants are provided with 24-hour access to a studio space in the gallery and a private, furnished apartment with a separate entrance on the 2nd floor above the gallery. The studio space is open to the public during regular operating hours.
Struts Gallery pays an artist fee of $3000, $500 per diem, travel costs, and any materials associated with workshops or other public events. Artists-in-residence also have access to the centre’s media arts equipment and facilities.
Residencies are selected by a committee of Struts Gallery members.
Submission Guidelines (please read carefully):
Please combine items 1, 2, 3, into a single PDF file 1. Project proposal: a brief description of your plans for the residency. Include technical requirements and site specifications if applicable. (max 250 words)
2. A brief bio (max 250 words)
3. Current curriculum vitae (max two pages)
4. Documentation of your work: up to ten images or five minutes of audio-visual material. All images and audio-visual material must be Mac compatible.
· Up to 10 images saved as .jpg files at 72 dpi in RGB colour mode.
· Maximum file size 1920 pixels (width) x 1080 pixels (height)
· Label each image with a number and title – start the first nine images with a zero (01title.jpg, 02title.jpg…10title.jpg) to ensure they are presented in the order you wish.
· Please make video and audio files available online (ie Vimeo, Youtube, soundcloud etc) and provide the url link(s) in one separate PDF
All submissions must arrive at the gallery by Midnight on November 21, 2022. Please email submissions to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line ‘Open Studio’. Please reach out if you have any questions about this application, selection process or the facilities. If these guidelines present an obstacle to you or your work, we will accommodate alternative formats including video and audio. Please email info[at]strutsgallery[.]ca or call 1.506.536.1211 to arrange these accommodations — gallery staff are happy to assist.